Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

And This Is How We Hunt Our Deer

Once upon a time Dad had just left home and was driving on the road right off of our street. About five minutes later he returned and exclaimed to us, "I just saw a beautiful buck! It was gorgeous!" And then he left again, only to return a second time, ten minutes later with another tale to tell. "You know that buck I just saw? It just rammed into me!" It jumped out of the woods right in front of him! Dad tried to swerve and thus the buck hit him on the side of the car rather than in the front. You can see the damage done in the pictures below. As our family doesn't have hunting licenses and have never been hunting, this was the first time our family got a deer!



Dad was just going to leave it in the woods but Stephanie said that with this much damage the deer must have received its fatal wounds, she encouraged Dad to bring it back home so we could skin it! Dad thought it was a great idea! Thus began our first experience of skinning a deer with the help of a very good friend!


The deceased


Our prize winning buck, he had 9 points on his crown!


Seth rallied up enough courage to touch one of the deer's points.


Ooops! Just took out the fence! lol Good thing it was on its way out anyway. ;)





Seth keeping at a safe distance from all things gutty related.


Dad was very proud of his catch! lol


Chariti, she's a brave one
There ya'go! Ride him like a horse!


By the end of the day, Seth's manly courage rose to the challenge and he was excited to help out and pose with the deer!


Taking down the meat to cut it up and store it in the freezer! Well that was fun!
  So that's the story of our family's first deer skinning, gutting etc. It was a great experience!

 
"But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation;
I will sing to the Lord because
He has dealt bountifully with me."
Psalm 13:5-6

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the way I hunt deer :) Although, fortunately, I have yet to slay a buck in said manner...I don't think my old 1990 Camry would hold up very well.

    Was your dad's car totaled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, thankfully it wasn't totaled. The only damage that was done is shown the pictures above.
    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete